GLOSSARY OF DENTAL TERMS
This is a glossary of terms for your information.
Aria Dental recommends that you understand dental terms and words that may be used in the course of dialogue with our Dentists and Dental Staff.
Please do not hesitate to seek further clarification, if necessary.
All our staff will be happy to assist in your understanding.
- Base: Cement placed under a dental restoration to insulate the pulp (nerve chamber).
- Bicuspid or Premolar: Transitional teeth behind the cuspids (canine teeth).
- Bifurcation (Trifurcation): Juncture of two (three) roots in posterior teeth.
- Biopsy: Removal of a small piece of tissue for microscopic examination.
- Bite: Relationship of the upper and lower teeth on closure (occlusion).
- Black Hairy Tongue: Elongated papillae on the tongue, promoting the growth of microorganisms.
- Bleaching: Chemical treatment for natural teeth whitening effect.
- Block Injection: Anaesthesia of a nerve trunk that covers a large area of the jaw. A mandibular block injection produces numbness of the lower jaw, teeth and half the tongue and chin.
- Bonding: Adhesive dental restoration technique. Often using a tooth-coloured composite resin to repair and/or change the colour or shape of a tooth.
- Bone Grafting: A surgical procedure by which new bone or a replacement material is used to replace missing bone.
- Bone Resorption: Decrease in bone supporting the roots of teeth, which is a common result of periodontal (gum disease).
- Braces: Appliances used by orthodontists to gradually reposition teeth to a more favourable alignment.
- Bridge: A prosthesis used to replace one or more missing teeth, cemented to supporting teeth or implants adjacent to the space.
- Bruxism: Grinding or gnashing of the teeth, most commonly while the patient is asleep.