Porcelain Veneers: What You Need to Know
If you consider improving your smile and achieving a dazzling set of teeth, porcelain veneers are the leading solution. Porcelain veneers are a popular cosmetic dentistry treatment that can transform the appearance of your teeth, giving you a flawless and radiant smile. Porcelain veneers are an immensely popular cosmetic dentistry treatment that can transform the appearance of your teeth, giving you a flawless and radiant smile. It is popular amongst those with a public profile or those where image or personal presentation can impact their professional career. Porcelain veneers are an aesthetic dental treatment and can be used as a rehabilitative treatment option. Cosmetic dental veneers are ideal for concealing discoloured teeth or crooked teeth and are common when completing smile makeovers.
Before embarking on this journey, it is essential to be well-informed. You need to do your research, fully understand the process involved, and consider the pros and cons of the porcelain veneers treatment – as it is a permanent, irreversible, and long-term commitment.
Researching Porcelain Veneers
Seek Professional Consultation with Cosmetic Dentists
The first step is to schedule a consultation with a qualified cosmetic dentist or cosmetic surgeon. They will evaluate your dental health, discuss your goals, and determine if you are a suitable candidate for porcelain veneers. Do not be afraid to visit and meet several dental professionals to ensure you are getting a consolidated opinion on your case.
Understand the Procedure
Research the porcelain veneers process to understand what it entails. This will help you prepare mentally and have realistic expectations about the results. Keep reading for a summary of what to expect.
Review Before and After Photos
Look for before and after photos of patients undergoing porcelain veneers treatment. This will give you a clear idea of the potential outcomes and the dentist’s expertise.
Learn About Maintenance
Porcelain veneers are durable, but they do require proper care. Research the maintenance routine and be prepared to follow it diligently.
Porcelain Veneers Cost Perth
Porcelain dental veneers cost can vary depending on the dentist’s experience, the quality of the porcelain veneer product and the location. Basing your decision solely on the cost of veneers is not advisable and may reflect the value you will receive. Research the different products and sample/trial stages to make an informed decision.
At Aria Dental, the cost of your porcelain veneers is determined by the level of customisation you choose and the type of veneers you opt for. Our Aria master ceramist handcrafts each veneer, dedicating work hours to perfect each tooth. Before receiving your final porcelain veneers, you can expect to have several temporary veneers try-ins. Porcelain veneers are typically quoted per-tooth basis, with our top-of-the-range porcelain veneers ranging from $2,500 per tooth. The porcelain veneers cost becomes more affordable as you increase the number of porcelain veneers, which will vary based on your desired outcome. Porcelain veneer treatments are delivered in sets of 4, 6, or 8 teeth, depending on how wide your smile is and the number of natural teeth that require a dental veneer.
The Porcelain Veneers Procedure
Consultation and Treatment Planning
During your initial dental veneers treatment consultation, the dentist will examine your natural teeth, discuss your ideal porcelain dental veneers goals, and create a customised treatment plan with the associated cost of porcelain veneers. This will involve determining the number of porcelain veneers needed and the desired shade of the tooth enamel.
In most cases, a thin layer of enamel must be removed from the teeth’ front surface to adequately accommodate the veneers. This step ensures a natural-looking fit – but is irreversible once the tooth shaving is completed.
Impressions and Fabrication
Once they are prepared, impressions of your teeth will be taken and sent to a dental lab, where skilled technicians will craft your custom porcelain veneers.
While your permanent veneers are being fabricated, temporary veneers may be placed on your teeth to protect them. This may or may not be included in the price of your treatment; make sure you are clear on your inclusions and what may be additional.
Try in and make Adjustments.
When the veneers are designed, the dentist and lab technician will check their fit and appearance to ensure you are happy with the fit, colour and design before bonding them to your teeth. The dentist will make minor adjustments to ensure your bite is comfortable and the veneers blend seamlessly with your natural smile.
Once the final veneers are prepared, the dentist will thoroughly assess their final fit and appearance. Subsequently, the porcelain veneers will be bonded to your teeth using a dental adhesive. During the last phase of the dental veneers’ procedure, the dental bonding, a specialised light beam will be used to activate the chemicals in the dental cement, prompting a rapid hardening and bonding of the porcelain veneers to your tooth (a process known as photopolymerisation).
Pros of Porcelain Veneers
- Enhanced Aesthetics: Porcelain veneers can correct various cosmetic issues such as discolouration, teeth gaps, chips, and misshapen teeth, providing a stunning and even smile.
- Stain-Resistant: Porcelain is resistant to staining, so your new smile will remain bright and beautiful for an extended period. You will not use teeth whitening products on your new porcelain veneers.
- Durable and Long-lasting: When properly cared for, porcelain veneers can last for many years, making them a worthwhile cosmetic dentistry investment.
- Minimally Invasive: Compared to other dental treatments, porcelain veneers are a conservative option that preserves more natural tooth structure.
Cons of Porcelain Veneers
- Irreversible Process: As a small amount of enamel is removed during preparation, the process is irreversible, and the teeth will always need protection with veneers.
- Cost of Veneers: A single porcelain veneer can be expensive, especially if you require porcelain veneers for multiple teeth. A cheaper cosmetic dentistry option may be to consider composite resin veneers.
- Potential Sensitivity: Some patients may experience temporary sensitivity after the procedure, although it usually subsides quickly.
- Replacement Needed: Although durable, veneers will need to be repaired or replaced over time, adding to the long-term commitment, cost, and maintenance of this particular cosmetic dental option.
How long will Porcelain Veneers last?
The longevity of porcelain veneers can vary depending on several factors, including how well they are cared for, the quality of the materials used, and your oral hygiene habits. On average, proper care of porcelain veneers can last anywhere from 10 to 15 years.
Here are some factors that can affect the lifespan of porcelain veneers:
- Quality of Materials: High-quality porcelain and strong bonding agents used during the veneer fabrication and placement process can contribute to their durability.
- Oral Hygiene: Maintaining good oral hygiene practices, such as regular brushing, flossing, and dental check-ups, can help prevent issues that may lead to veneer damage.
- Avoiding Bad Habits: Certain habits like biting on hard objects, chewing on ice or using teeth as tools can put excessive pressure on the veneers and may lead to chipping or cracking.
- Teeth Grinding (Bruxism): People who grind or clench their front teeth together, a condition known as bruxism, may experience premature wear on their veneers. Wearing a nightguard can help protect the veneers in such cases.
- Regular Dental Maintenance: Regular visits to the dentist for check-ups and cleanings allow the dentist to monitor the condition of the veneers and address any issues before they worsen.
- Stain-Inducing Substances: Avoiding excessive consumption of stain-inducing substances like coffee, tea, red wine, and tobacco can help maintain the veneers’ appearance over time.
- Accidents or Trauma: In the event of an accident or facial trauma, the veneers may be damaged and require replacement.
Dental Implants and Veneers
Porcelain veneers are primarily cosmetic enhancements for existing teeth, while dental implants are a restorative option for replacing missing teeth and restoring both aesthetics and function.
Porcelain veneers and dental implants are two distinct dental treatments, each serving a unique purpose in improving a patient’s oral health and aesthetics. Porcelain veneers are thin shells made of dental porcelain that are custom-designed to fit over the front surface of a tooth. They primarily address cosmetic issues such as stained, chipped, or misaligned teeth. Veneers provide an immediate enhancement to the appearance of teeth, giving patients a brighter and more uniform smile without the need for extensive tooth reduction.
Dental implants are a surgical solution for replacing a damaged whole tooth or missing teeth. They consist of a titanium post that is surgically implanted into the jawbone to serve as an artificial tooth root. A crown is then attached to the implant, mimicking the appearance and function of a natural tooth. Dental implants are implant surgery and are a permanent and highly durable option for tooth replacement, offering improved stability, aesthetics, and functionality.
The choice between these two treatments depends on the patient’s specific dental needs and goals. Consulting with your Aria Dental professional is crucial to determine the most suitable solution for an individual’s oral health and appearance.
Cosmetic Dentistry and Natural Teeth
It is important to remember that while porcelain veneers are durable, they are not invincible. They are permanent dental alterations and wear and tear will occur over time – and will need replacing at some stage. If a dental veneer becomes damaged or dislodged, it will need to be repaired or replaced by your cosmetic dentist or prosthodontist.
To maximise the lifespan of your porcelain veneers, following your dentist’s care instructions and maintaining excellent oral hygiene practices is crucial. Undergoing treatments before your veneers, such as teeth straightening, may be required, too. Regular dental check-ups will help identify any issues early and ensure your veneers remain in optimal condition for as long as possible. This cosmetic treatment requires review and maintenance, and we recommend that you have dental appointments at least twice a year.
Porcelain veneers can be a fantastic option for achieving a flawless smile. Still, it is crucial to conduct thorough research and consult a qualified, experienced dentist to determine if they are the right choice for you and how many veneers you will need. With proper care and maintenance, porcelain veneers can provide you with the confidence and radiant smile you have always dreamed of, which will significantly impact your self-esteem and overall well-being. Remember to take the time to make an informed decision on this dental treatment and choose a reputable and experienced cosmetic dentist for the best results.