So you’ve been researching tooth replacement solutions and you’ve decided dental implants are the best option for you – great! But before you begin the dental implant procedure, a qualified dentist will need to assess your dental implant eligibility. This is a standard check that all patients must undergo before the implant process, and one that can determine the eventual success of your dental implants. So what kind of things will your dentist look for?
What factors will determine my dental implant eligibility?
Whilst conventional dental implants are known for their high success rate, any surgical procedure carries risks. In order to increase the chances of a successful implant procedure, your implant dentist will carry out an initial medical and dental check to ensure you are an eligible implant candidate. During this consultation, your dentist will assess the following elements:
- Bone density – Before the dental implant procedure, your dentist will need to ensure you have adequate bone density and strength to support a dental implant. Since the implant will need to fuse with the jawbone to form the root of the replacement tooth (or teeth), the quality and density of your jawbone will play a big part in the success of your dental implants. If you don’t have adequate bone density, your dentist may recommend a bone grafting procedure or alternative tooth replacement options.
- Oral health – In addition to the state of your jawbone, your implant dentist will also need to examine your teeth, mouth and gums to ensure you have a healthy mouth and excellent dental hygiene. Just like natural teeth, dental implants require maintenance through regular cleaning, flossing and dental visits. Any signs of tooth decay or cavities will need to be corrected before the dental implant procedure. The dentist may also check for any signs of tooth clenching, as this factor could impair the success of your dental implants.
- Overall health – It’s not just your dental health that could impact your eligibility for dental implants. In order to qualify as an ideal candidate, you will also need to be in good physical health. Individuals who smoke, are undergoing additional medical treatments, or suffer from diabetes may not be eligible for the implant procedure due to lower success rates. Your dentist and/or doctor will be able to advise you on your eligibility for dental implants.
- Risk of gum disease – In your initial dental consultation, your dentist will also need to determine your risk of developing gum disease. Since healthy gums are essential for supporting the dental implant, patients with a high risk of gum disease may not be eligible for implants due to the higher potential for implant failure.
What are my alternatives?
If you aren’t eligible for dental implants, your dentist may be able to recommend alternative tooth replacement options to better suit your individual circumstances.
- Dental bridge: A bridge is a tooth replacement option that can be used to replace either single or multiple teeth. Depending on the type of bridge you have, the replacement tooth can be held in place in different ways. Traditional bridges are held in place by crowns on the surrounding teeth, whilst resin-bonded bridges will be anchored onto the two adjacent teeth via wing-like attachments.
- Dentures: Another non-implant tooth replacement option is the partial or complete denture. These can be used to replace multiple or even a full set of teeth. Although not as stable or natural-looking as dental implants, dentures may suit patients with compromised teeth or inadequate bone density.
Book your free implant consultation today with Aria Dental
If you are considering dental implants and want to know whether you are eligible, the leading prosthodontist at Aria Dental in Perth can help you determine your dental implant eligibility through a free consultation. Our experienced prosthodontist is a leader is his field, and is committed to helping our clients find a tooth replacement option that suits their individual needs and aesthetic vision.
To find out more about our dental implant services, or to book a consultation at our Perth dental implant clinic, call us on (08) 9226 2135.